Home2Home is a PetRescue pilot program designed to empower a pet owner to find a new home for their pet, helping towards stemming the flow of pets entering rescue. It operates Australia-wide, assisting pets and humans all over the country.
With an estimated 100,000* pets being killed in Australian pounds annually, it’s imperative for us as a pet-loving community to take measures to:
a) keep pets out of the pound system in the first place, and
b) support rescues to continue their work saving the most vulnerable pets in need of urgent help.
PetRescue's Home2Home program is designed to keep pets out of an unsafe system and support their adoption journey from their current home, directly into their new home.
This can free up resources in rescue organisations for vulnerable pets who don’t have a safe home to rely on, including pets in danger of being killed in pounds, and those at risk in their community.
5 good reasons why Home2Home is a great approach for pets:
1. Pets stay happy at home with their owners until they can find a new loving home for them.
2. Pets get the best chance possible to find a suitable home, being put directly in front of the 30,000 potential adopters that visit PetRescue every day.
3. Pets benefit from being matched to a new family by their owners - the people who know their pets needs and habits better than anyone.
4. A dedicated team provides full support to pet owners so that pets can transition happily from the comfort of their existing loving home straight to their new home.
5. Adopters can directly talk to pet owners and give advice about the pet’s needs, likes and dislikes.
When enquiring about a pet listed with Home2Home, your enquiry goes directly to the pet’s owner - the person who knows them best!
It’s a great opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the pet, including its likes and dislikes, needs, and how it may fit into your lifestyle and family.
From here, the owner will be in touch with you to chat a bit more about their pet, and if they feel your home is the best fit, they will arrange a ‘meet and greet’ for you all to get to know each other.
Should this prove successful, arrangements will be made for the pet to move straight from its current home into yours upon payment of adoption fee. Change of Ownership paperwork will be completed, vetwork history will be provided and your new family member will be snuggled on your couch in no time!