Last updated: 24 Feb, 2020
Published on: 25 Jan, 2019
Well hello there 2019!
There’s so much cool stuff coming in 2019 - where do we even begin?
This year will see the final stages of the Matchmakers project rolled out - a huge piece of website development work that will bring the best available technology to rescue’s fingertips inline with platforms such as Facebook, Gumtree, RealEstate.com.au, Airbnb etc.
These upgrades are geared to help members make the most of limited resources and to ensure adoption is THE best option for the 3.6 million pet lovers visiting the PetRescue platform each year.
The messaging changes rolled out during last week’s soft launch lay the foundations for a raft of time-saving tech features, including:
- Customisable templates for firing off quick responses to enquirers
- Bulk message sending capacity - if you need to let multiple enquirers know a pet has already been rehomed or isn’t the best match
- An app with push notifications
- And more!
As background, there were several reasons behind the creation of the Matchmakers project; the most important one was coming up with a way to lighten the load on overstretched rescue members, and to ensure that people who chose adoption got a response when enquiring about a rescue pet on PetRescue.com.au.
This new system will work towards a way to identify any enquirers who may not have received a response so that we can work together to help them connect with a pet before they walk away from rescue for good.
It’s an issue we get thousands of emails about every year, and although individual rescuers have differing views on many things, the one thing we can all agree on is that no-one wants to see would-be adopters walking away from rescue and buying a pet from a puppy farm or breeder instead.
Along with these significant Matchmakers developments, we are also incredibly excited about our other key projects for 2019 including:
- Working on a game-changing stray cat desexing trial with the Australian Pet Welfare Foundation, RSPCA QLD, RSPCA NSW, RSPCA SA, Animal Welfare League - Australia, Maneki Neko Cat Rescue, Maggie’s Rescue Co-operative, and local council authorities. PetRescue is an industry partner, providing financial and tech support to inform this Australian-first research into humane cat management, to help stem the influx of cats into pounds, shelters and rescue groups.
- Bringing together Australia’s best tech and business brains in an industry-first Hack-a-thon, to tap into new life-saving and time-saving solutions for at-risk pets.
- Expanding our Safe & Sound Pounds program, to get even more councils on board with the life-saving power of direct adoptions.
You can also email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org - we welcome your feedback!
Banner image: Mrs Potts from Shoalhaven Animal Shelter