We understand that all rescue organisations operate independently and have their own policies and procedures when matching potential adopters to suitable pets.
The differences can be vast, and potentially tricky for prospective adopters to navigate, particularly if they are new to the adoption experience. And attracting new adopters is vital if more rescue pets are to be saved!
What's the change?
All existing PetRescue member rescue groups, shelters and pounds now have the option to select a policy level that best represents their adoption policy, so that pet seekers are fully aware of how flexible or strict the groups are when they make an enquiry about a pet.
This policy level information is visible on each pet listing, underneath the 'Adoption details' heading.
Communicating adoption policy information helps pets and adopters connect quickly and smoothly.
It helps prospective adopters understand your requirements early on in the process, enabling them to connect more smoothly with your rescue organisation.
This helps set expectations from the get-go, which means better matches, faster. And that means more lives saved!
What are the policy level options?
These policy level descriptions are intended as a guide only, to help adopters in their journey to find a new furry family member. A rescue organisation may undertake some of these processes and requirements, but not others, during the enquiry and adoption process.
An organisation with flexible adoption policies and procedures is one that embraces open adoption philosophies. The enquiry and adoption process is simple and straightforward, with ongoing support available after adoption. This MAY include:
- Short or no application form
- Phone chat or email contact
- Meet and greets
- Interstate adoption may be available
- Adopt-on-the-day may be available under certain circumstances (ie. in a shelter or vet situation, in-store adoption events etc.)
An organisation with moderate adoption policies and procedures undertakes a more in-depth application process, or may have particular living requirements for pets. This MAY include:
- Application form required (prior to meet and greet)
- Interview via phone chat
- May have specified requirements for individual pets (i.e. indoor pets only)
- Home check may be required
An organisation with strict adoption policies and procedures undertakes a detailed and involved screening process prior to a prospective adopter meeting the pet. This MAY include:
- Full application form required before the group will contact a prospective adopter
- Lengthy and detailed application form
- Interview via phone or face-to-face
- Universal requirements regardless of individual circumstances (i.e. all adopters must be over 25yrs, no young children etc)
- Home check required
- May require vet reference or other checks
How do I select an adoption policy level for my rescue organisation?
- Only a Group Admin can set a policy level
- Go to your group's page (you must be logged in to your rescue account)
- Click the orange 'Edit' button in the top menu
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the 'Group settings' section
- Select your level - flexible, moderate or strict
- Save using the orange 'Update settings' button at the bottom of the page
If you have any questions or feedback about adoption policy levels, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.