PetRescue supports the responsible and ethical rescue of companion animals. Membership is offered exclusively to groups and organisations that agree to and abide by the PetRescue Membership Code and Pet Listing Rules. Any breach of the Membership Code or Pet Listing Rules may result in immediate suspension of membership.
PetRescue members represent professionalism in all aspects of rescue - from the co-ordination of pet care, to the management of the adoption process and customer service when dealing directly with the public.
PetRescue understands that prospective adopters are making a considerable emotional investment when they begin the search for a new family member. So it's important to ensure all potential adopters have a positive adoption experience - one that they'll want to recommend to friends and family, and maybe even repeat the next time they are seeking a pet.
To ensure a positive experience for all, PetRescue requires all member rescue groups to:
- Respond to enquiries generated from the PetRescue website within 72 hours.
- Maintain respectful, professional, informative and non-judgemental written and verbal communications at all times.
- Commit to referring unsuccessful applicants or enquirers back to the PetRescue website to continue their search, should they not be the right match for your rescue group.
Animals listed on PetRescue must be:
- Genuine rescue animals, presently in a pound/shelter or foster care situation.
- Vet checked, vaccinated and ready for rehoming.
- Desexed. All cats and dogs submitted to PetRescue must be desexed (or will be desexed PRIOR to going to their new home) and shall be promoted as such. Exclusions may be granted for animals considered to be too elderly or for other health reasons, as advised by a vet. Please contact us to apply on a per-animal basis.
PetRescue member rescue groups must also agree to the following:
- We have read and agree to abide by PetRescue's Pet Listing Rules and understand that failure to do so will result in the immediate removal of offending listings, and may result in the suspension or removal of membership.
- We operate our rescue group to support the welfare of the animals in our care and not for personal gain. Any fees we charge for adoption or other services are directly invested in our organisation's ongoing work. While we may have paid staff, our group or shelter is intended to operate as a not-for-profit, for-purpose or charitable organisation.
- We are a registered Australian business, not-for-profit group or charity, or are working towards becoming one.
- We are dedicated to the care of animals and educational efforts to promote the welfare of those animals. As part of this commitment, we provide advice and support to those who adopt animals from us.
- We endeavour to match pets with appropriate new families, to ensure a good fit for both human and pet. This process may include adoption counselling via phone, in person or through written correspondence.
- We will provide adoption paperwork such as change of ownership, microchip and vaccination details to the new owner in a timely manner. (PetRescue strongly recommends that adoption paperwork go with the pet at the time of adoption to avoid follow-up issues).
- We make provision to offer after-adoption follow up and support to our adopters over the life of their pets, including a returns policy for adopted animals.
- We are operating our group according to, and in compliance with, all federal, state, and local regulations, laws, rules, ordinances, statutes and codes, and possess the required permits or licence(s) (if applicable).
- We will endeavour to keep all information posted on the PetRescue website correct and up to date, including our contact details and the status of our pets (marking them as ON HOLD or ADOPTED in a timely manner).
- We recognise PetRescue makes no guarantee of any of the information posted by us. Any pets found, adopted through, or listed on PetRescue are the sole responsibility of us as the advertiser and/or the adopting party.
- We acknowledge PetRescue has the right to remove, edit or alter any information posted on the website at their discretion.
- All information, including photos, contact information and animal descriptions posted to the website, becomes the property of PetRescue and may be used in promotions and for marketing purposes.
- PetRescue may contact us at any time to verify information submitted to the website. We are required to ensure a contact name and phone number are maintained in our account details for such purpose. We understand that our account may be suspended should we fail to maintain timely communication with PetRescue.
- We understand PetRescue may make changes and/or updates to the Membership Code or Pet Listing Rules at any time, and we will be required to adhere to these changes to remain a member.
- Any breach of the above rules may result in a temporary or permanent suspension of PetRescue membership.
If you have any queries about PetRescue’s Membership Code or Pet Listing Rules, please email email@example.com.
Please note: PetRescue does not comprehensively evaluate nor endorse the practices of any organisation or individual.