I am affiliated with the Victorian ferret Society and the RSPCA but I operate an independent ferret rescue / shelter.
1. Adoption candidates make contact
2. We send out information pack, application form and link to facebook
3. If new to ferrets, they must visit and show that they have the necessary knowledge about ferrets and their requirements (Cage, Safety, Diet, etc).
4. If exisiting/past owner they still must visit, but bring along their ferret to ensure compatibility, etc.
5. People wanting "Entire" ferrets are turned away.
6. All adoptions have a 2-3 week return policy, no reason necessary. This is especially required for newbies, who are given the chance to own a ferret, but then find they are not the pet they expected.